Monday, July 6, 2009

July 4th Weekend

Our long weekend began with blueberry picking at Butler's Orchard. Not only did we get 8lbs of berries for only $17, but it was a lot of fun. Great experience for Jack. We had no idea how extensive the farms were, but there were blueberries practically as far as could be seen, among other things.Jack was an excellent picker. In fact, he picked out the green berries Josh carelessly put in the bucket :).We started out telling him we had to pay for the berries before eating, but after seeing everyone else eat as they picked, we couldn't say no. And they were SO yummy! I froze two big bags, made muffins, baby food and sauce for pancakes and ice cream.Couldn't help but think of the women around the world who work in fields with babies on their chests every day. Boy am I blessed! Jack asked to feed Henry his lunch the other day. I didn't really have a good reason to say no. He took the job very seriously and they both enjoyed themselves. Bailey was on clean-up duty.Henry is just moments away from crawling and now he's pulling himself up on things. He's growing up too fast!Jack built these houses with his blocks...a whole neighborhood with one each for mom, dad, Jack and Henry. According to him, the big ones were for Grandma and Grandpa.Henry's first sand experience at the 4th of July festival Bolling hosted. I know I need to get over this, but kids in the messy, get-everywhere sand still makes my stomach turn. They both looked so cute, but neither was feeling much like pictures.After refusing his afternoon nap, Henry ended up with a chest nap...the best kind.Jack watched his first fireworks show this year. Since Henry was sleeping, just Jack and I walked down to see them (the benefit of living across the river from the Capitol!). Needless to say, he was in awe.
Homemade watermelon popcicle in a bathing suit on the 4th of July...Tell me this isn't the cutest tush you've ever seen?? We officially started pottytraining on Sunday. We said we would start when diapers ran out and barely made it thru Saturday. But, after a couple accidents early Sunday, we are doing wonderfully! No accidents yesterday or today and he's still excited about the whole thing. He has figured out that we drop everything when he says he has to go, so he's using that when he's in need of extra attention. My sweet little boy learning to manipulate!

1 comment:

The Leighton Family said...

I'm with you... I HATE sand... you find it months later in the strangest places!!!