Thursday, January 27, 2011

There has been a lot of adorable pretend play happening in our house lately.  If I don't start writing it down now, I'll forget!  Jack is beginning to assert some big brother bossiness, which I think bothers me more than Henry.  Henry usually goes right along with whatever Jack says, but I have heard him stick to his guns and say no several times.  Unfortunately this usually results in tears or screaming by one or both!  I know this is just what siblings do...but it's fascinating to watch and so heartwarming to see and hear them play together.  In fact, the other day Henry was napping and Jack wasn't.  Josh and I were trying to finish up painting the baby's room.  Jack was bored "helping" so we told him to find something to do in the playroom.  He kept coming back to us saying "but what do I do?".  He's losing the ability to play without Henry!

Yesterday's cuteness was playing "timeout".  Apparently this is what Josh and I sound like.  They took turns telling the other "one, two, three...timeout!".  They had to then sit on the stairs when the other one would say "I'll be back to talk to you in a minute."  Then they'd go back a second later and say "tell me what you did wrong."  The cutest part may have been Jack feeding Henry the lines and him repeating everything perfectly.

They also played doctor yesterday, not for the first time, but this time they were Dr. Dawson, our pediatrician whom Jack saw on Monday.  Jack of course got to play the doctor role while Henry was patient.  They basically went thru Jack's whole four-year check up, including shot and walking on tip-toes.  The twist?  Henry had a baby growing in his belly!  Jack says the baby's not coming until after Christmas because it still needs lots of time to grow.  And when this baby does arrive, Jack will feed her and they will make baby food in their blender.

In the car the other day Josh said they were pretending to have baby tigers in their bellies.  When the babies came out, they traded, then had a contest to see who could roar loudest (EVERYTHING is a contest with Jack these days...where did this come from?? We certainly didn't intend to teach him it!).

One last thing. Isn't Henry too young to be giving excuses? His top two...when I ask him not to do something he says, "just 'tended mom" (pretending) and if I ask him to do something he says, "doin' some-pin right now mom".  Yes, my two-year-old calls me "mom".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so awesome it made me laugh so hard. It sounds like jack is going to be a good athlete.
Love You Guys
Uncle Rob