This is not exactly how I planned to meet my little girl for the first time, but she's here, she's healthy and happy and we're all already head over heels in love! Going to bed Monday night I felt different and had a feeling we might finally get some baby action, but didn't want to get my hopes up since I'd had that feeling many times before! But, I woke up around 12:30 with some painful contractions 10 minutes apart. I woke Josh up a bit later and we just sat timing them. Since the doctor wanted me to go in earlier than usual once contractions started, we started getting ready when they were consistent for a couple hours. At 4:30am my water broke, but the contractions practically stopped. We waited at home for several more hours, but finally decided to go in at 9am. With the help of our doula, Tina, we "labored" all day with absolutely no progression and contractions slowing to only 2 an hour or so. We tried every trick in the book to get real labor started, but it just wasn't happening. Luckily, the baby was fine so we didn't have to worry about time. Around 7pm we decided to go ahead with the c-section. I wanted the VBAC SO badly, but at that point knew in my gut it wasn't working. It was a nearly impossible decision, but I truly feel good knowing I did my very best and have no regrets. The doctor confirmed in surgery that between the odd shape of my uterus and her position, contractions weren't likely to become productive. Of course this recovery is no fun, but what matters is the perfect little person we ended up with, right? (Yes, sounds I'm still justifying the decision!) So...at 9:42pm on April 26th, Nora June Thomas, weighing 7lbs 3oz and 19.5 inches long, made us a happy family of 5!
Jack and Henry holding Nora for the first time. They were positively beaming the first time they visited. Henry was amazed she was actually out of my belly (I think he had been doubting this baby we'd been talking about for months was really in there...mommy too). Jack didn't really know what to say at first, but had this huge grin on his face he couldn't hide.
Just a few hours old and already an adorable nursing and dirty diaper champ!
Nora's not so sure about the big pink hat, but mommy loves it.
Daddy, christened with Nora's first spit up, ready to go home.

4 comments:
She is absolutely wonderful! I am sorry that your desired VBAC didn't happen. You are such a champ for hoping and trying for what you wanted, and ultimately making the decision you know you had to for you and your perfect baby. Congrats! Looking forward to watching her grow :) Rest and enjoy!
How did you find time to blog?! I'm glad you did, though. I agree with the above comment...you are a rock star for waiting for labor to start naturally and I hope you have zero regrets. Sometimes, things are truly out of our control.
Little Nora is absolutely perfect! Congratulations again!
She is adorable...Bronson has quite the little crush already! I love her pink hat! So cute!
Love her and the rest of the Thomas family 5! Can't wait to hold her. Love, N
Post a Comment