Thursday, August 9, 2012

Off to Kindergarten

Jack chose German pancakes, bacon and peaches for his special first day of school breakfast.  He was really excited that morning! He had been nervous since we made our final decision to send him to the neighborhood school and had to go in for paperwork. He wouldn't speak to the teachers or staff and didn't really want to talk to us about school either.  We went supply shopping and got a new backpack and lunch box and uniforms which he said made him a little more excited.  He again acted very nervous when we went in for "Round-up Day" to meet his teacher Mrs. Vinchattle and see his room.  This was all making me even more nervous!  We went in on Monday for placement testing.  We had talked to him all weekend about answering Mrs. V's questions and asking his own.  He walked out of his meeting with her positively beaming.  He immediately said, "I'm really excited now mom and I really like Mrs. Vinchattle."
Too bright for outside pictures!
The whole gang walked him to school yesterday.  Certainly a major perk of being only a few blocks away!  We plan to walk as long as the weather will allow.  We had to say goodbye at the door, but that was fine with him.  He said "bye, love you" and ran right in.  My tears could not be contained...this has been really hard.  Every day I'm feeling more at peace with our school decision, but I still miss him like crazy and can't believe he's in kindergarten already.  And all day! This is so cliche, but I do feel like he was a baby just yesterday.
Day two!  He seems to be having a really good time. He loves having three recesses.   It's like pulling teeth getting information from him though.  His standard answer is that he doesn't really remember.  But I'm not giving up!  I suppose it's not that he's not telling us anything, it's just that it's not free-flowing.  He does tell us about the things he cares most about...lunch, his good choices card and recess.  And Josh is better at asking the right questions.  His assignment tomorrow is to come home with the name of the boy sitting next to him.
Nora wanted a fireplace picture too.
They definitely look like it's 7am.
Ready for the Bears preseason game tonight!
 
Jack teaching Henry his letters with wiki sticks the other day.  Maybe because Jack has been reading out loud a lot more lately, but Henry has been quite eager to learn. 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: