Thursday, May 8, 2008

Breakfast at the White House

I was invited to attend a Military Spouse Appreciation Day event at the White House on Tuesday morning. It was so much fun! I didn't find out about it until Friday night, so I of course spent the whole weekend worrying about what to wear until I finally got an email on Monday with further details. It was breakfast on the South Lawn with, they say, about 1000 other mil spouses from the area. Luckily, I got there pretty early and was able to get a table only a few rows back...I met a few other very nice Air Force wives. After breakfast (fruit and tons of yummy baked goods served with plates/cups/napkins with the President's seal, of course) Robert Gates spoke, followed by the President. He only spoke for 15 minutes or so, but it was pretty cool to hear him speak in person. He was very sincere and even a little funny...joking about how Laura was on her way to Texas for the wedding this weekend and left him a certain Steve Martin dvd to watch before he went himself. After that, country singer Phil Vasser performed a few songs. Then, finally, we were invited to tour the White House. As I headed over to get in line, I happened to be in the path of the President leaving and was able to say hi and shake his hand. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of the star-struck, crazy women there who insisted on hugging and kissing him and pulling him in for pictures. But, I did get a bad close-up as he was walking away. These people really were crazy...it was actually a little disappointing...they acted like love-sick little girls. But, it was a great experience! We just toured the downstairs of the main house, but I was amazed at the beauty. Everything was so perfectly decorated, obviously hand-made, and perfect. The moldings were probably the most amazing thing!! And the flowers...I can't even fathom how much they must spend on fresh flowers!

One of the buffet tables.
View from the buffet tables.A pretty view.I'm not exactly sure what band this was, but they were very good.See, I really was there!Robert Gates speaking.President Bush speaking.Phil Vasser playing.Shaking hands as he leaves.This is right after I shook his hand.The chandeliers in every room were gorgeous. This is the Red Room, obviously.A shot of the moldings in the State Dining Room...I'm a dork, I know.Me in the State Dining Room.

1 comment:

2p said...

What a great experience! And you look great!